Wednesday, December 20, 2006

No more misreports, please!

Kaj Pindal and yours truly
Picture by Mitch Kennedy

Readers of Cartoon Brew know what I'm referring to, The great Grim Natwick has also experienced a similar mishap when he was in his 80s. Please don't rush false notions.

Kaj is an inspiration to so many of us. A warm and giving person, experienced animation history first hand. In his lectures, accompanied by many behind the scenes stories, He exposes us to many brilliant films, saying "I want to give you an impression of what hasn't been made, so that someday, you may do it yourself"

He Created a very good show called "Peep and the Big Wide World" encouraging kids to put aside the chips and remote and keep being curious about the natural world.

I drew a caricature of him as he appeared in the documentary "Laugh Lines", made in 1979 by the National Film Board. When I gave it it to him, he said "I'm going home to show it to my wife"

Screenshots from "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" Animation by Kaj, Direction by Derek Lamb.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the frame grabs from Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. Wonderful, funny drawings.

Mitchel Kennedy said...

Hey Amir! When he said that he was going to show that to his wife, I thought it was wonderful! She must be important to him.

I couldn't believe what I read on Cartoon Brew. I my stomach was sunk. Thank god he's alright. I'm looking forward to having him teach us next semester. He's a wonderful guy.

And his work is great!

Amir Avni said...

Thanks for the comments,

Dave: Love your stuff!
Mitch: Couldn't agree more!
Amid: Wow, thanks for the link! I wasn't expecting it

Like all of you, I love Kaj's animation, especially "The Old Lady" and "What On Earth!"

TotalD said...

Ahh, these are the things that happen when you become a legend.

" The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
- Mark Twain.

As a student of Kajs from , OMG , 1979 I can tell you all of us hoped it was not true. These things happen, and I know for a fact Kaj has an incredible sense of humor :)

Amir Avni said...

Agreed Total D! and he's taught you well, your animation is so solid!
Kaj is very funny, when you talk to him, you get a glance of what a rich person he is